It’s been so long since I’ve posted, that I thought this would be a good way to ease back in … thanks
A 50 Question Christmas Survey HT:Forever_Mommy
1. Does your family send out Christmas cards?: Yup, usually with a Christmas letter. I’m putting off starting ours by taking this survey.
2. How soon do you start shopping?: Hmmm … If I see something good, I have been known to buy things over the summer. But, then, I can’t keep a secret, so I end up giving away the gift well before Christmas.
3. Who do you shop for?: We now have name exchanges in both of our extended families. So, we buy two presents each and it’s different every year. In addition, we buy something for each other, but not always something big. This year Dwayne and I are talking about only sharing gag gifts or something funny, since we’re taking vacation next week to Florida and we’ve recently purchased a bunch of toys.
4. Do you put up a Christmas tree?: always
5. If so, is it fake or real?: Fake, I like to have it up too long for a real tree to stay safe.
6. Do you like tinsel?: Not unless it’s on a real tree that I’ll be throwing away … It’s so hard to get off the tree! Oh, and it gets caught in the vacuum. On the other hand, it’s pretty nostalgic.
7. Do you use home made or store bought ornaments?: both
8. Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?: yes! I love it! This year we bought (one of the toys?) a big enough ladder to reach the top of the entryway. We hung (well, actually, I made Dwayne hang) three large stars over the doorway … very pretty.
9. Do you put lights on the tree?: Of course.
10. How about popcorn and cranberries?: uh … no
11. Is there a wreath hanging on your door?: yes, there is.
12. Do you celebrate it?: For years, when we lived in Michigan, I’d lead worship at two or three services, then, after the midnight worship, we’d pack up the car and drive all night to arrive at Dwayne’s parents house in western PA by breakfast. Since moving to Texas, we have a Christmas Eve tradition of eating Ginger and Lime Cornish Hens. Since it was just the three of us, it seemed really festive to have a whole hen to ourselves.
13. Do you hang up your stocking?: well, Santa* brings the stockings, we don’t hang them before hand.
14. Does your family read “Twas the night before Christmas?”: sometimes … there were a whole bunch of Christmas books that we read together throughout the advent season.
15. Christmas Movie: A Christmas Story, of course.
16. Character from any Christmas Movie: Hmmm … the dentist elf in Rudolf comes to mind.
17. Christmas Song: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
18. Christmas Memory: The advent wreath (?) that my dad made with the baby Jesus inside the cave.
This or That
19. Give or Receive?: give
20. Eggnog or Cider?: hot spiced cider … yum
21. Red or Green?: both
22. Ham or Turkey?: don’t like ham … love turkey … last year I made a beef roast … mmmm good.
23. Star or Angel?: star
24. White Lights or Colored Lights?: used to be colored all the way. This year it’s white lights outside, still colored lights on the tree … next year we might go with a white tree, who knows.
25. Blinking Lights or Still Lights: uh … blinking is tacky.
26. Were you Naughty or Nice this year?: yes
27. What do you want for Christmas this year?: slippers 🙂
28. When do you open your gifts?: Christmas Eve if we’re traveling on Christmas … otherwise, Christmas morning.
29. What’s the best gift you’ve ever gotten?: umm … I have no idea
30. What’s the worst gift you’ve ever gotten?: nope, can’t say
31. Who gives you the most gifts?: umm … hmmm … I don’t know
32. Have you ever had a secret Santa?: yes
33. Do you like wrapping gifts?: not really, sometimes, I guess.
34. Do you put change in those red buckets?: not usually
35. Do you burn a yule log?: “Throw the yule log on Uncle John” … sorry that’s all I could think about …
36. Can you name all the reindeer?: you know dasher and dancer … uh huh
37. Do you bake cookies?: most of the time; Katie and I used to make gingerbread men when she was little … I miss that.
38. Have you ever seen your mommy kissing Santa Clause?: no, we never did much with the whole Santa Claus thing.
39. Have you ever gotten a kiss under the mistletoe: sure.
40. Do you go caroling?: always
41. Do you drive around and look at the Christmas lights?: with hot chocolate? yeah when we lived where it was cold and white … now I take different streets home at night to see the different lights.
42. Have you ever left Santa cookies?: uh huh, and I’ve eaten the ones my daughter left for Santa, too … Santa likes Oreos.
43. Have you ever sat on Santa’s lap?: probably
44. Who do you celebrate Christmas with?: Family mostly.
45. Where do you celebrate Christmas?: depends on the year.
46. Have you ever had a white Christmas?: Sure .. the most fun, though, was watching Bui see snow for the first time on Christmas Eve 2004 … in Baytown!
47. What part of Christmas do you look most foward to?: the advent wreath
48. Have you ever had your picture taken with Santa?: don’t know
49. Does your family always take a picture at Christmas?: no
50. Have you ever heard the song “Thank God For Kids” by The Oakridge Boys?: nope